If you’re a regular Walmart customer, the Walmart Money Card prepaid debit card is perhaps the best-prepaid debit card on the market.
It provides excellent value through cash-back rewards and numerous free online services.
So if you do your research, and it comes down to a Walmart prepaid card vs another prepaid card, Walmart could very well hold its own.
The Walmart Money Card offers a variety of cashback perks to steady and loyal customers.
- If you shop online, you can earn 3% back on all purchases.
- Shop in stores and you’ll earn 1% back.
- Use your card at Murphy USA and Walmart Fuel Stations to get 2% cashback.
This is practically money in the bank, especially if you do most of your shopping at Walmart throughout the year.
However, the drawback is that the cash back you can earn each year is capped at $75.
On the plus side, it’s automatically deposited into your account once you’ve earned it.
All direct deposits are free. If you purchase the card in-store, there is a $1 card purchase fee, but there’s no fee if you do it online. After that, there’s a $5 monthly fee unless you loaded $1,000 or more during the previous monthly period.
If you need cash, you can withdraw up to $400 a day from an ATM, and $1,000 a day from a Walmart register.
All cash obtained through Walmart from your card is free.
All ATMs charge a $2.50 charge unless it is a MoneyPass ATM,
Adding Money to Your Card
There are a few ways to add money to your card.
- Direct Deposit
- Cash a payroll check ($20- $2,999)
- Do a ‘Rapid Reload’ with cash ($20- $1,100 plus a $3 charge each time)
- Online Bank transfer— meaning transfer money from your bank or savings account to your card (any amount up to $200). To use money on the same day as the transfer, there is a $2.95 charge.
- Moneypak purchased at a participating retailer ($20-$500)
As of 2019, you can’t have over $10,000 on your prepaid card, and there’s daily cash reload limit of $2,999.
If you have the cash you’d like to add on your card, you can’t add it if you have $2,999 already on the card; however, money coming from a direct deposit will be deposited up to $10,000.
Limitations cannot be exceeded either online or in-store.
You can only spend up to $3,000 a day through your card.
Money can’t be added to the card through a credit card.
Additional Benefits of the Walmart Money Card
- Use it anywhere Mastercard or Visa cards are accepted.
- If you have a friend or family member who also has a Walmart card, you can send money for free between cards.
- The card is basically a checking account with cash back bonuses. Plus, if you use your card for direct deposit, you can get paid up to 2 days early.
- If you have a check, you can use the mobile app to deposit the check directly to your card.
- You can also write checks against your card’s balance to pay bills and utilities, or you can use your card to pay bills online for free.
If you’re a frequent Walmart shopper and your spending habits fit the account limitations, this card could be a great fit for you.